Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Dorothea Lange's famous photo of Florence Thompson



Florence Thompson, the Migrant Mother in Dorothea Lange's famous 1936 photo, holds up her likeness during an interview after her identity was discovered, October 10, 1978 

 

Thompson's identity was discovered in the late 1970s. In 1978, acting on a tip, Modesto Bee reporter Emmett Corrigan located Thompson at her mobile home in Space 24 of the Modesto Mobile Village and recognized her from the 42-year-old photograph. Thompson was quoted as saying: "I wish she [Lange] hadn't taken my picture. I can't get a penny out of it. She didn't ask my name. She said she wouldn't sell the pictures. She said she'd send me a copy. She never did." As Lange was funded by the federal government when she took the picture, the image was public domain, and Lange was not entitled to royalties. However, the picture did help make Lange a celebrity and earned her "respect from her colleagues."

 


No comments:

Post a Comment