Sunday, April 12, 2009

Steve Irwin, Tasmania

The Bridge

Helicopter Pad



Captain Paul Watson






Chaser boats



The Mess


Bow Damage







The organisation is called Sea Shepherd started by the radical Canadian Captain Paul Watson and the name of the ship is the Steve Urwin. Notice the damage on the bow from the last encounter with the Japanese whaling ships. She was docked in Hobart today and I took a free tour. All of the crew are volunteers (up to 35 people) with the exception of the Chief Engineer and the helicopter pilot, two professionals unlikely to work for free. At the end of the tour they asked for cash donations or vegan food donations.

"I have been honored to serve the whales, dolphins, seals - and all the other creatures on this Earth. Their beauty, intelligence, strength, and spirit have inspired me. These beings have spoken to me, touched me, and I have been rewarded by friendship with many members of different species.


If the whales survive and flourish, if the seals continue to live and give birth, and if I can contribute to ensuring their future prosperity, I will be forever happy."
- Paul Watson







1 comment:

  1. Hi they ALL work for FREE,they do it for the love of the Whales,The two you are talking about would be else where saving other wildlife

    ReplyDelete