Monday, October 6, 2014

The troubled soul of Gerard Depardieu






Gerard Depardieu is an alcoholic who boasts that he can drink up to 14 bottles of wine a day.  It starts when he wakes in the morning and continues all day until he passes out at night.

He was banned from Air France for urinating in the aisle before take-off.  He wanted to use the toilet but was told he couldn't because all passengers had to be seated.

He became a Russian citizen in 2013 as a protest against France's 75 per cent tax on the rich.  He was presented with his Russian passport by President Putin himself.





He has just released his autobiography "It Happened Like That" and he talks about his family's extreme poverty.  His mother often told him how she tried to abort him with knitting needles and he had to help deliver his siblings as the family couldn't afford a midwife.

He started wandering the streets when he was about 10 but could pass for 15.  He soon discovered that he was attractive to homosexuals and when they approached him for sex, he asked them for money.






He served three weeks in prison for stealing a car and even dug up newly buried bodies in the cemetery and stole their jewellery and shoes.

Then one day he met a gay talent spotter who paid for him to study French drama.  His lucky break came when he landed the lead role in Green Card and he became an instant star.

He says he's hounded by phobias.  "I'm obsessed with the racket in my body, the gurgling of my intestines, my joints cracking.  It's become a phobia to the point that if I'm alone in a hotel, I must drink so as not to hear it, so as not to go mad from it.  I can't get to sleep unless I am dead drunk" he writes.

He can't tell his children he loves them and blames his father Dede, a metal worker and volunteer fireman.  "I could never find the words, I know how to speak the words to others, but when it comes to my own, I am the son of Dede."

No comments:

Post a Comment