Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Union boss Michael Williamson pleads guilty




Yesterday Michael Williamson pleaded guilty to stealing millions of dollars from his union and was forced to apologise to members of the Health Services Union (HSU) for doing it. All the members need now is to see him get serious jail time and if he doesn't, they will be correct in assuming Australian justice is on the nose.

This amoral man was once the National President of the Labor Party. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Now that the case is over, the union can start proceedings aimed at getting a lot of that money back.  They are able to withhold $1.1 million out of his superannuation and $600,000 of unpaid entitlements.

In his letter of apology, released by the union, Williamson urges members not to quit, that he accepts full responsibility for what he did. He writes:


I wish to place on record my sincere apology to all of you. You placed your trust in me when I was general secretary and I abused that trust.  "I apologise unreservedly to all of you for my actions, which were not in keeping with the position I formerly held.  I have agreed to assist the union in recovery actions against others, and will honour that agreement.  The court will determine the penalty I am to receive, but it won't remove the fact I have to live with this matter until the day I die.

Pass the tissues, and the bucket.  

No comments:

Post a Comment