Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Today's ABC Open photos


The fragility of life.
By sandra_celebrate ·  · From Pic of the Week

The fragility of life. Next installment! Our beautiful Tasmanian Masked Owl (Tyto novaehollandiae castenops) was once described by John Gould (biologist) as '...a species distinguished from all other members of its genus by its great size and powerful form. Probably few of the Raptorial birds, with the exception of the Eagles, are more formidable or more sanguinary (causing much bloodshed) in disposition.' After this beauty flew up to the tree tops, I packed up & walked back down to the house to close windows, feed dog & cat, stoke the woodheater...and go collect more wood in barrow. It was dark. I had a torch. Whilst at woodpile I heard our chooks cry out. I had not yet closed their door for the night. Rushing in...there she was...looking perplexed...on the floor of the chook house...what's all the noise about...I'm just after my chicken dinner! I walked in between the terrified chickens and the owl...shining my torch on the ground so she could still see. Slowly we turned around and together we left the chook house...both walking in a nonchalant manner. She then flew up to the fence. I stood next to her...about a rulers length away. We had a quiet moment. I told her it's not ok to eat the chooks. She let me pat her briefly. We parted company. I had tears of wonderment.  Published 15 Jul 2016.  Sandy Bay TAS 7005



It is just peachy having Monday off
By steve_outandabout ·  · From Pic of the Week

Hope these guys survive the heatwave.  Published 01 Feb 2017.  Monash ACT 2904




  
You could drive a bus through this wave....
By emily_parisi ·  · From Pic of the Week
You could drive a bus through this wave....Published 31 Jan 2017.  Wollongong NSW 2500




Good morning
By golddustdays ·  · From Pic of the Week   Published 27 Jan 2017.  Daylesford VIC 3460











I'm watching you
By im watching you · · From Pic of the Week
This photo was taken with my iPhone 6 at Flinders around 10 am in the morning. 
He was on a low branch in a tree and other birds were upset by him being there .
Flinders VIC 3929










PILBAAAAARA

By christinepicks ·  · From Pic of the Week

The rain fills these rock holes for us to embrace the beauty of this Pilbara country.. Published 01 Feb 2017.  Millstream WA 6716

No comments:

Post a Comment