Follow by Email

Monday, November 30, 2015

Another music festival death in Sydney






Nobody knows why our kids think you must take drugs at music festivals, but we can guess.  To achieve maximum enjoyment of the night, you need something that will take you to heights not achieved with alcohol alone, they tell their friends.

Last Saturday, 28 November 2015, another young woman went out to have the time of her life, and never came home.   Her name was Sylvia Choi and she died after ingesting ecstasy with alcohol and possibly MDMA mixed with water. 

The effects of MDMA include feelings of mental stimulation, emotional warmth, empathy toward others, a sense of well being and decreased anxiety.








But Ms Choi wasn't a naive young thing with no life experience, she was a 25 year old qualified pharmacist.  When she collapsed on the dance floor, valuable minutes passed before she arrived at a medical tent and she was pronounced dead at Concord Hospital a few hours later.







Today, Blooms the Chemist, where she worked, issued a statement.


'Blooms the Chemist is saddened by the news that one of our bright, well-respected pharmacists, Ms Sylvia Choi lost her life at Sydney's Stereosonic.  Our tight-knit community has received the news of her passing with disbelief and is struggling to come to terms with the loss of a much-loved member of our team.  We extend our deepest condolences to Ms Choi's family and ask the broader community to respect their privacy during this difficult time.'

A 22 year old British tourist, who was with another group of friends, had a lucky escape when she was released from Westmead hospital after being in an induced coma.

Even though people attending the concert know these drugs are made by criminals in someone's backyard shed, they have complete trust and faith that nothing will happen to them.  Paramedics treated 120 that night who became gravely ill from a bad reaction to drugs, and nine were taken to hospital.

Police are investigating the possibility the substances taken by Ms Choi were manufactured locally by people she knew.