Friday, March 17, 2017

Today's ABC Open photos

Busted
By emmapeds ·  · From Pic of the Week

When you wonder where the nectarines went, then Eddie catches the culprit red handed. This is Coffin Bay life.  Photo by Eddie Hollett.  Published 24 Feb 2017.  Coffin Bay SA 5607





Hidden away down a dusty...
By australiansecrets ·  · From Pic of the Week

Hidden away down a dusty, very bumpy road you will find this beautiful swimming hole. Most people drive straight past the turn off to Adcock Gorge and we were sooooo glad we didn't!  Published 17 Oct 2016.  King Leopold Ranges WA 6728



Another silo being painted
By greens_pics · · From Pic of the Week
Another silo being painted at Coonalpyn SA... looking forward to seeing the finished result!  Published 2 hours ago. Coonalpyn SA 5265



The sun sets on the mob

Every photograph tells a story.
Sometimes a photographer has to put themselves in some very interesting situations to capture that story just right. 
'The sun sets on the mob' was captured at a sheep property south-east of the outback Queensland town of Bollon. 
I was working in the shearing shed at Mona during the day as a wool handler and in the afternoons I was taking photographs of all that caught my eye. This shearing at Mona was in July, which means the sun sets a lot earlier than it does in the warmer months.
Finishing work in the shearing shed at 5.30pm and the sun setting at 5.40pm didn't leave me a lot of time to chase many photos.
By chance I was sent out the back to help bring the sheep up into the shed at around 5pm when the golden light was really starting to spread.
It was then this image was born in my head.
As soon as 5.30pm hit and the shed was clean I grabbed my camera, jumped out of the side of the shearing shed and ran as fast as my legs would take me to sheep in the yards.
Puffing and clumsily changing the lens on my camera as I sat in sheep droppings - I started yelling my best impersonation of a lamb. 
The light was fading and so were my chances.
I am not sure what the sheep thought of me. Maybe they took pity on me. Maybe they thought I was in pain - I will never know.
Whatever their thoughts, they gave me the shot I had in my head.  There is no greater feeling than creating something that I have imagined.
'The sun sets on the mob' has great sentimental meaning to me.  I fell completely and utterly head over heels in love with photography when I captured this image.
Something clicked inside of me that this will be my journey in life, capturing rural Australia's beauty.   Published 24 Sep 2014.  Bollon QLD 4488



   Australian Reed Wabler

        By mcduckish ·  · From Pic of the Week

Published 24 Feb 2017.  Herdsman WA 





Waterholes amongst the petroglyphs

        By destinedfeather ·  · From My Back Roads

        Waterholes amongst the petroglyphs at Murujuga National Park, Dampier WA           Published 20 Feb 2017.  Burrup WA 6714

No comments:

Post a Comment