Saturday, August 11, 2012

Carl Lewis casts Jamaican drug slur





US sprint legend Carl Lewis has cast aspersions on the toughness of Jamaica's drug testing rules and Usain Bolt is furious.  "Without a doubt, the Jamaican team is drugs free" he said.

In 2008, Lewis said "Countries like Jamaica do not have a random program so they can go months without being tested."  But rules have been tightened up since then and Jamaican Control Officer Paul Wright said yesterday there are now tests up to five times a day for 40 weeks during the athletic season and also unannounced, on the spot tests.

After Bolt's 200 m gold yesterday, Olympics Chief Organizer, Sebastian Coe, gave his assurance that Jamaica's anti-doping regulations complied with Olympic standards.







Lewis said "The reality is that if I were running now, and had the performances I had in my past, I would expect doping critics to say something, I wouldn't even be offended by the question.  So when people ask me about Bolt, I say he could be the greatest athlete of all time, but for someone to run 10.30 one year and 9.69 the next, if you don't question that in a sport that has the reputation it has right now, you're a fool.  Period."


No comments:

Post a Comment