Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Usain Bolt, king of the London Olympics




He's already a legend and runs faster than anyone else, no matter how hard they try so when he complains, people listen.  Cocky show pony?  Definitely, but we can't take our eyes off him.

He said Olympic officials were driving him crazy.  "There are a lot of rules, oh my God, you can't do anything, I was coming and wanted to bring my tablets in and they said I couldn't, I asked why, it's just a rule.  I had my skipping rope in my bag and they said I can't bring it in, why, it's just a rule.  What if I need to take a rubber band inside to stretch? I can't because it's just a rule."  And then "These little rules don't make any sense to me, like before the 100m final, the guy was telling us to line up, we were about to race and were being told to stand in a straight line, it's kind of weird."






Back in Jamaica, people packed into the streets at Half Way Tree in Kingston.  The Caribbean island is famous for producing great musicians and fast sprinters like fellow Jamaican Yohan Blake, Bolt's number one rival who he calls "The Beast."  The 22 year old  won the 2011 world championships after Bolt was disqualified for a false start.  The pair stopped training together in the lead up to the games because their rivalry became too intense.






Bolt is the favourite to win the 200m gold medal tomorrow, and the world will be watching.  His time of 19.19 seconds, set at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin, remains the world record.


No comments:

Post a Comment