This is the house of one of the richest men in Tasmanian history, James Cox. The second son of Captain William Cox who pioneered the road over the Blue Mountains in New South Wales, he arrived in Australia in 1804 aged fourteen.
In June 1812 he married Mary Connell in Parramatta New South Wales and moved to Tasmania in 1814, accepting a land grant of 700 acres and later adding another 6,000 acres to his estate which he called Clarendon. After he imported a ram from Spain named Newton his Merino flock went on to win him many awards as did his Hereford herd. His house was finally completed in 1838.
His first wife, Mary, died in July 1828 giving birth to her eighth child. On 1 May 1829 he married Eliza Eddington, aged 19, daughter of Lieutenant-Governor David Collins. This marriage produced 11 children but only 7 daughters and one son survived infancy.
He imported deer, established a hunt and emulated the lifestyle of the true English country gentleman.
This magnificent Georgian three storey house, complete with downstairs servants quarters, many outbuildings and extensive gardens was given to the National Trust by the owner, Mrs W.R. Menzies in 1962. (No relation to our esteemed former Prime Minister Robert Gordon Menzies).
You can find Clarendon House at 234 Clarendon Station Road, Evandale, Tasmania.