Wednesday, August 20, 2014

James Foley's murder





Today everyone knows the name of James Foley.  His murder was orchestrated as a "message to America" to get out of Iraq.  Surely this is enough reason for President Obama to act.  ISIS must be overcome and every country on earth with the means to do it should hold an emergency meeting and get on with it.

James Foley, a freelance American journalist was kidnapped in November 2012.  In a prepared statement before his death he said


I call on my friends, family and loved ones to rise up against my real killers, the US government, for what will happen to me is only a result of their complacency and criminality. 
My message to my beloved parents, save me some dignity and don't accept any meagre compensation for my death from the same people who effectively hit the nail in my coffin from their recent aerial campaign in Iraq.

He then addressed his brother John who is in the US Air Force.


Think about the lives you destroy including those of your own family.  I call on you John, think about who made the decision to bomb Iraq recently and kill those people, whoever they may have been.  I wish I had more time.  I wish I could have the hope of freedom and seeing my family once again but that ship has sailed. I guess all in all, I wish I wasn't American.

The man in black points at the camera and says "Any attempt by you Obama, to deny the Muslims their rights of living is safety under the Islamic caliphate will result in the bloodshed of your people."  A second journalist Steven Sotloff, also appears in the video.  "The life of this American citizen Obama depends on your next decision."

The man then appears to cut Foley's throat.  Then, speaking in English with a British accent, he warns the US to stop intervening in Iraq.


James Foley


The video was uploaded to YouTube yesterday afternoon before it was taken down and the FBI are evaluating its contents.

Foley had been working for Global Post, Agence France-Presse and other international media organizations when he was kidnapped in Syria in November 2012.

It seems ironic that when President Bush organized the Coalition of the Willing, we went to Iraq grudgingly, later realizing it was a terrible mistake.  

And now we are begging the US to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment