Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nadal's Shock Defeat




It was hard to believe what was happening in the quarter final last night - Nadal was losing to his good friend David Ferrer. If it's possible, he endeared himself even more to his Australian fans when he soldiered on for two hours so his Davis Cup team-mate would have the satisfaction of beating him on the court and not because of injury retirement. Ferrer now goes on to play Scot Andy Murray in Friday's semi-finals. Ferrer said "It's not easy because Rafael is a gentleman and he was playing with an injury."


Nadal said after the game he didn't know the exact nature of the problem "I can't tell you exactly because I don't know" he said. "I didn't feel the best, I had a problem at the very beginning and after that, the match was nearly over." He hated last year's memory of withdrawing against Andy Murray at the same stage of the Australian Open 2010. "I hate retirements, I didn't want to repeat that" he said.


The Spanish superstar arrived with a virus he picked up in Doha on the way to Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment